Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Movin' On Over...

Hey guys!

I've spent a lot of this summer catching some R&R and looking ahead to the new school year.  Despite not posting very often, I also thought a lot about the blog.  I've decided to make some changes, and unfortunately Painting with Brains shall be no more.

I really loved this blog, but it has run its course.  I love all the art-teacher-blogger friends I've made out here, and what they've taught me.  I wanted this blog to be an inspirational spot where fellow art teachers could check out the projects/materials I use every day, to be a place where I could get help from others in the profession, and also a place where I could show off my students' mad skillz, yo. (Forgive me, I've been on a Breaking Bad bender.)  To a large degree, I feel it was all of those things.

However, I always questioned the line of how much was too much sharing- being that my kids were high schoolers, I grappled with the question of whether or not I should be sharing their work with the internet.  Once you get into high school there's all types of rules and laws about ownership and intellectual property- yaddah, yadday, yaddah.  I considered just omitting all student works, but that was one of the biggest parts of my blog- definitely the part I was most proud of.

Additionally, I'm about to enter my 5th year teaching mostly the same classes in years passed, and was worried I wouldn't have too much new information to offer.  Sure I've got a few ideas up my sleeve for some new and improved lessons, and yes every school year is different, but by-and-large, I feel like most of it would just be a big 'ol repeat of what you've already seen.  The school year hasn't even started yet, and I was already feeling uninspired.

With this blog I also struggled a lot with how much personal information to share- I tried to keep it as anonymous as possible, but it started becoming too hard to do that and continue writing interesting material- material that was meaningful to me.

And so, with a heavy heart I lay Painting with Brains to rest.  Here's to hoping you learned and laughed, and here's to never typing Painting with Brians ever again! (Man, that got annoying.)

But this isn't all sadzies!

I've decided to give blogging one more go-around in a new spot.  I don't want to link it here, becuase it's not quite ready yet, and I'd prefer to start on a totally new slate.  What can you expect to read about?  Some more general teaching stuff (reviews on products I use in the classroom, inspirational material, things of the like), but also a lot more of my personal artworks, some short stories, photos and tales of my travels- all that kind of fun stuff and more.  So if you're interested in tagging along, please email me (paintingwithbrains at gmail dot com) and I'd be over the moon to share it with you!  If this is your stop, thanks for being awesome!

4 comments:

  1. Yes...Breaking Bad.. I cannot leave the house on Sunday nights for the next 6 weeks because I do NOT want to be the only person I know who doesn't know who is dead or alive right when it happens. Yo, SCIENCE!

    Anyhow. Sad to see you go, but I get it. And since I enjoy the way you tell a story, I'll probably be a tagalong, so expect an email. The unique thing about blogging is how there are no barriers of age and geography, and for that I am very grateful. Funny thing is, I actually was wondering about you the other day, and when I couldn't get on your blog at all, I left a comment on my own little blog's recent post. I'll delete it (the comment, not the post).

    Good luck, have a great start to your school year, and I'll see you in your new configuration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed reading your blog but sometimes you have to do whats right for you.... Good luck and have a great school year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I understand your reasons,but I will miss the humor, wisdom and the "you-ness" of painting with brains. I will look forward to reading your new adventure and hope to continue hearing about you and Indy. Stay in touch!

    :)Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. HKNEO, A photography equipment wholesaler, focuses on providing excellent quality camera accessories at affordable price

    ReplyDelete